Owners of property damaged by wildfire, other natural disaster may qualify for tax relief


Helena – (RealEstateRama) — The Montana Department of Revenue encourages Montana property owners whose homes or other property are damaged or destroyed during wildfire or other natural disaster to apply for property tax relief.

A property or land owner whose home, outbuildings or forest land are partially or totally destroyed by natural disaster, making the property unsuitable for its previous use, may be eligible for property tax relief. Businesses whose equipment is destroyed may also qualify.

The tax relief is prorated based on the number of days in the tax year that the property is unusable. The relief is available for the current tax year. The department asks property owners to complete a natural disaster application to apply for the property tax relief. Property owners need to complete Form AB-25. Forest land owners should do Form AB-26.

Application forms are available at all Department of Revenue local offices and on the department’s website at revenue.mt.gov. You can find the department’s local office contacts, phone numbers and addresses for your area at http://revenue.mt.gov/contact-us#Contact-Information-By-County-919.

“Wildfires and other natural disasters can be devastating and we are sorry for Montanans who may lose homes and other property to natural disaster,” said Montana Revenue Director Mike Kadas. “This tax assistance can be significant and help provide some relief as property owners recover from destruction.”

The state’s natural disaster property tax relief also covers properties damaged by flood or wind.

Montana property owners who experience a natural disaster-related loss of a dwelling also may be eligible for an income tax deduction. In addition, the department can issue replacement copies of property records, past-year income tax returns, or other revenue-related information that is lost in a tornado.

For more information, contact your local Department of Revenue office. You can also phone the call center toll free at (866) 859-2254, or visit the department’s website at revenue.mt.gov.


Mary Ann Dunwell
Public Information Officer
Montana Department of Revenue
mdunwell (at) mt (dot) gov
Twitter: @MTRevenue
(406) 444-6700, (406) 461-2648 cell
125 N. Roberts, PO Box 5805, Helena, MT 59604-5805


Mary Ann Dunwell, Public Information Officer, (406) 444-6700, MDunwell (at) mt (dot) gov
Molly Petersen, Public Information Specialist, (406) 444-4331, MollyPetersen (at) mt (dot) gov


Montana RealEstateRama is an Internet based Real Estate News and Press Release distributor chanel of RealEstateRama for Montana Real Estate publishing community.

RealEstateRama staff editor manage to selection and verify the real estate news for State of Montana.


Next articleLt. Governor Cooney Celebrates Preservation of Affordable Housing in Manhattan